More Teachers or Computers?
Do we need more teachers in the classroom or more computers to help students achieve the standards?
Can technology take the place of face-to-face classroom educators? With Act 51 and weighted student formula, schools are going to have more say with what they do with their funds. Are there positions in the schools that can be replaced with technology and computers?
What are your thoughts?
More teachers or computers? This is a great question that perhaps will be a major topic of discussion for many more years to come. Obviously as a teacher, I feel that the personal touch of human interaction is much more valued and effective than that of a computer. If my administrator came up to me and asked if I would choose between having another teacher in the classroom or setting up an additional computer, I'm fairly certain that I would rather take the extra help from another person. Having said that, computers are pieces of technology that are essential in this day and age of education. All students need to know how to utilize the many functions that computers offer in order to have academic success. Computers have become a wonderful teaching, learning, and productivity tool that every single educator should be incorporating in his/her curriculum as often as possible. It is my personal opinion that a computer can never take the place of a human being. I can't think of a single teaching position at my school that would benefit from having a computer at the front of the classroom instead of a teacher. Computers are unable to feel any of the human emotions and traits that are essential to this field - sympathy, empathy, happiness, anger, love, trust, respect, etc. Because of this, face-to-face classroom educators should always have a place in education. Dan M.
ReplyDeleteHands down... my choice is more teachers! Everyone knows that our students learn in different ways. A computer may "reach" some of them but definitely not all! Teachers have the expertise and ability to be flexible to modify their lessons to teach to all learning styles! I believe that computers should have a place in our curriculum and students should be educated about the kinds of tasks they are capable of doing. But, please do not let computers become the primary teaching and learning tool for our students.
ReplyDeleteCindy M.
It's a tough call, but I think I lean towards teachers. A smaller class would allow me to make better connections with my students and we would definitely learn and interact much more effectively. I also believe that everyday the kids carry computers in their back pockets with phones and ipads and such. Many of my older students already are bringing their laptops to school anyhow. Another teacher cannot be bought in a Best Buy and is invaluable to education.
ReplyDeleteTeachers, definitely! While it is important for students to be proficient in technology, I feel that it is even more importance that students be exposed to individuals who will instill values, teach morales, foster postive self-concepts, etc. Teachers have the opportunity to shape the students' character in addition to their academic growth...this is something technology can never replace. While it would be a treat to have another computer lab available, it just would not make the same impact on student lives as a teacher would.
ReplyDeletejoyce b
Dan - I totally agree with you in that the computer cannot take the place of human interaction and presence, especially in the mode of teaching.
ReplyDeleteCindy - I hold the same hope as you do...no matter how important computers become in the teaching realm, it cannot be the primary focus in teaching/learning.
joyce b
Totally agree with everyone else that we need teachers. Computers are another great source of information that can be used as an extension. Having a teacher standing before you makes the experience much more personal and it puts the pressure on students when it comes to due dates....well more than an online class. It is a joy to be a part of an experience where you can see and hear the responses of others to evaluate for yourself.
ReplyDeleteBlanche T.
Joyce - I like what you stated about teachers shaping students' character and growth. I just viewed a video clip in my other PD class discussing the topic.
ReplyDeleteKristie - It is mind blowing to see how much technology devices students own. Even I don't own an ipad. I don't want to be connected that badly.
Blanche T.
Initially when I read this blog I was thinking "of course we need teachers over computers- that is a no brainer." However the more I read and thought about this situation the more I realized that it isn't as black and white as I initially thought. Yes, of course we need our teachers; however the world is becoming more advanced in technology and our students need to have as many opportunities with technology that we can offer. The reality of Lena's initial post is that it isn't a teacher vs. computer issue but a $$$ issue. With SWF our schools do feel forced to choose- people or supplies/equipment. However maybe we as educators need to think outside of our SWF funding boxes. Yes, the State is providing our funding, but maybe we need to also look for other ways to get what we need. I know that personally every computer that I have used in my position with DOE has NOT been funded by SWF $. Unlike teachers I was not "assigned" or given a computer- I had to find one and find $ to get one. My first computer was one that was donated to our school by a local buisness, my last one was one that I wrote a grant to obtain. In higher education if a professor wants to get funding for something job related they write grants- they look outside of their educational institution. In fact most universities with a research componet basically require that you "fund" your own position and research by writing grants. Maybe we as educators need to look beyond our SWF funds and look for a way to make Teacher and Computers part of everyone of our student's schoolo day.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth O.
Blanche response to Kristie- You are right- even at the elementary school level we see many children with many types of "tech" devices. I think that educators we have the responsibility to be just as "connected" as our students. If we don't keep up with them we will be left behind and may miss out on opportunities to expand our teaching and their learning.
ReplyDeleteDan- I agree about the human connection that is needed for teaching- positive relationship only make our teaching stronger.
Everyone's answer makes sense... the bottom line is that a computer can be bought/sold like a commodity but a teacher is made up of much more things like empathy, motivation, caring hearts, and intuition. A computer would not be able to tell when a student is having a difficult day due to personal reasons and maybe that's why that student is getting so many problems wrong but a teacher would pick up on that right away. Don't get me wrong, computers are great (I can't imagine living without one!) but it is just one tool to accomplish one task whereas a teacher touches many aspects of a student's learning process (e.g. relationships, how to problem solve, social cues, etc). Some kids tell me that the computer can replace people but I seriously doubt any of them would want to get a *virtual hug* or **kiss** from a computer! haha!
ReplyDeletekristie: right one, it would be nice to have smaller class sizes... especially at the high school where the transition is so difficult between intermediate and high school! The students really need to feel that connection with an adult on campus and lowering the teacher to student ratio would go a loooong way with that!
ReplyDeleteelizabeth: isn't it sad how we have to spend so much of our own money? We got computers that were leased so at the end of this calendar year we have to give them up because there is no money to replace them... and I guess we'll all have to use our own laptops? Plus, there's no point in getting more computers if they don't have the money to maintain them and upgrade the appropriate software!
:o) Daphne
More Teachers or Computers? Do we need more teachers in the classroom or more computers to help students achieve the standards? Great Question! I personally feel that computers are great to enhance the technological growth of our students, but "NO" technology equipment or machines will ever replace teachers. Also, the one to one interaction between a teacher and a student is so valuable in the classroom settings. No technolgy can give our students the love and compassion that all teachers give to their students.
ReplyDeleteAloha, Mark G.
I believe that technology can be very helpful in the classroom. Certain tasks such as learning math concepts, math problem solving, and multiple choice tests can be more engaging for students by using computer software. Basic tasks such as these can be monitored by an aide or teacher. More complex tasks such as multi-step projects can be guided by a teacher with the use of technology if appropriate and necessary.
ReplyDeleteI think that a face-to-face classroom setting is necessary for most students. In my experience, only a small amount of students are able to independently work on assignments in their home. Today, even adults struggle to stay on task in an online environment or even at work when left to their own devices with a computer.
Brigitte
Joyce, I agree. Students need guidance and not only academic instruction.
ReplyDeleteCindy, you are so right. Computers can not become the primary teaching tool.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely say more teachers. I feel computers would be able to reach some of our students and teach them the content. Just like Cindy said, our students are diverse learners as teachers, we're able to accomodate to our students needs. Virtual teaching may be rigorous and relevant, but it does lack relationships that our teachers will be able to provide. Just like Daphne said, it would be interesting to see how computers would be able to give virtual hugs and kisses to our students.
ReplyDeleteTraci M.
Wow this can be a very controversial topic for the next couple of years. I personally think for my age students and just in elementary school teachers are very important and I am not saying computers are less important, but especially in the Preschool and Kindergarten ages. They need that tender loving care (TLC)!
ReplyDeleteDan - I liked what you said about the human interaction and personal touches teachers bring! Truly teachers have the biggest hearts ever!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth - I hear ya, I hear ya! We talked about it in person and through the blog!
Joyceb-I agree with you that teachers are more important because we instill values, teach morals, and foster positive self-concepts. We can mold students into productive citizens for the future.
ReplyDeleteTracym-I agree with you that virtual teaching lacks relationships between teachers and students. Teachers build lasting relationships in the classroom.
If you had asked me this question a few months ago, my immediate response would have been that teachers cannot be replaced with a computer. Since taking this online class (my first ever online class), my opinion has slightly changed. Although face to face interactions and immediate feedback is important, I can also see the value and power of online learning. One example, as an online learner, I have had to problem solve many issues on my own. Had I been in a traditional classroom, I would've quickly asked the instructor for help without much thinking on my own.
ReplyDeleteTracy, I agree. It is so important for the younger students to have that interaction with their teachers. Teachers model, correct, nurture and positively influence students daily. Amy K.
ReplyDeleteBrigette, I like your point about the need for online learners to stay focused. That totally applies to me. Amy K.
With the job skills changing so much, the choice between a computer or a teacher is a hard call. It seems that the job skills of the future are yet to be determined, and all of it is changed by technology. Combined with this is the estimate that students will have 20+ job changes, a computer might be a good choice. Having said that, nothing can really take the place of personalized instruction that students get from a good teacher. The computer needs an instructor for guidance and moral support. This leaves one to contemplate, what job skills are we trying to teach the student?
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, I like how you framed the dichotomy. Funding issues often force decisions to be made in a teacher vs. computer framework when it shouldn't be an either or proposition. Computers can't replace teachers and teachers and students need access to technology to be 21st century learners.
ReplyDeletecymorikawa - You make a great point about different learning styles and how computers don't necessarily meet the needs of all students. I wish we had more access to computers for our visual learners, but I wouldn't want all teaching to be computer based. Like many others, I agree that relationship building is crucial to teaching which requires face to face interaction.